Addressing Aboriginal Homelessness Forum
In mid August 2017, The NSW Homelessness Industry Partnership (IP) hosted a two-day forum at Rydges Sydney Central to assist SHS staff to respond better to increasing numbers of Aboriginal people affected by homelessness. This forum marked the first steps of a large piece of work aimed at addressing Aboriginal homelessness. The forum was intended to begin outlining the details of this work.
The forum aimed to:
- be a platform for Aboriginal voices to identify priority issues for discussion
- promote coordination of SHS and mainstream service responses to prevent Aboriginal people entering homelessness
- identify opportunities to better support Aboriginal workers and workers with Aboriginal clients
- showcase examples of culturally appropriate practice.
The following is a list of links to resources either referred to or generated at the forum:
- The Forum Program
- Chris Hartley's presentation on the research into Aboriginal homelessness
- Adell Hyslop's Aboriginal Cultural Competency Standards launch presentation
- The CHAP Assessment tool
- The FACS guide for social housing providers working with Aboriginal people and communities
- The summary of the Aboriginal Caucus discussion of key issues facing Aboriginal staff and services
- The full Forum Report collating all responses from participants
- The draft Addressing Aboriginal Homelessness Strategy 2017 - 2020 which resulted from the Forum